In the ceremony to proclaim that an Eisteddfod and Gorsedd are to be held in a specific place after a period of a year and a day the Gorsedd Recorder reads from the Proclamation Scroll.
A Proclamation Scroll was used in 1791 before the first ever Gorsedd. Several of the features of later Scrolls can be seen in this first Scroll, namely:
- noting the year and season;
- where the Gorsedd is to be held;
- that there will be no 'naked weapon' against the Bards;
- some of the mottoes which have become essential elements of Gorsedd ceremonies since, e.g. 'Yn Llygad Haul, wyneb Goleuni' (in the Eye of the Sun and in the face of Light); 'Duw a phob Daioni' (God and all Goodness).
The Mystic Mark was added to the Proclamation Scroll by Taliesin ab Iolo in 1833.
In 1946 the artist Meirion Roberts designed a new Scroll which was donated to the Gorsedd by Winifred Coombe-Tennant. In his design in black, red and gold, the artist incorporated the Grand Sword, the Corn Gwlad (trumpet) and the coat of arms of the Princes of Gwynedd in the decorated Celtic capital. Around the text he presented the coats of arms of the thirteen shires (before 1974) of Wales, oak leaves, acorns and a red dragon, but the Mystic Mark does not appear on the Scroll at all.