Pardoe, Thomas (1770 - 1823)
Media: oil on panel
Size: 38.1 x 32.5 cm
Acquired: 1959; Gift; Mrs Emma Pardoe James
Accession Number: NMW A 1954
Thomas Pardoe (1770-1823) was employed as a painter at the Cambrian Pottery, Swansea, from about 1795 to 1809. He then worked freelance in Bristol, before returning to Wales in the winter of 1820-1 where he decorated the remaining stock of porcelain at Nantgarw until his death. This picture, which is almost certainly a self-portrait, belongs to a tradition of portraits of collectors and artists which originated in sixteenth-century Italy.