The scout flag, that went South with Scott, becomes part of the national collection
When Captain Scott’s Antarctic Expedition ship, the Terra Nova, sailed into her home port of Cardiff on 14 June 1913, she had not only the White Ensign flying at the stern, the Welsh flag on the mainmast and the Cardiff City coat of arms on the foremast, but another, much smaller flag fluttering at the bow. The 4th Cardiff Scout Troop green flag had accompanied the expedition to the Antarctic and back.
Marking 100 years since Terra Nova returned home, Amgueddfa Cymru – National Museum Wales has accepted the flag of the The 4th Cardiff Scout Troop green flag 4th Cardiff Scout Troop Now into Wales’ textile collections. She has been reunited with two of the other Terra Nova flags which flew on the ship when she returned to Cardiff.
Amgueddfa Cymru – National Museum Wales operates seven national museums across Wales. These are National Museum Cardiff; St Fagans: National History Museum; National Roman Legion Museum, Caerleon; Big Pit: National Coal Museum; Blaenafon, National Wool Museum, Dre-fach Felindre; National Slate Museum, Llanberis; National Waterfront Museum, Swansea.
Admission to Amgueddfa Cymru – National Museum Wales’s Museums is free thanks to the support of the Welsh Government.