“As a picture of the past and a mirror of the present, it [St Fagans] will be an inspiration for our country’s future: from it will radiate energy to vitalize Welsh life.”
First Curator, St Fagans, 1948
The Main Entrance Building is being transformed. We are currently refurbishing the building creating new galleries of an international standard, a temporary exhibition space, an extensive contemporary learning centre and a collections research area.
The courtyard has been covered creating an atrium with a new entrance. Visitor facilities will include a new reception desk, shop and café, with improved access to the galleries, the Centre for Learning on the first floor, and orientation to the rest of the site.
The complete redevelopment of the Main Building is key to realising the project. Despite winning the Gold Award at the 1978 National Eisteddfod, over time the original architectural integrity has been compromised and the building did not meet twenty-first century museum and visitor expectations.
Alongside the development of the Main Building, new buildings are also being constructed on site.
Bryn Eryr Iron Age Farmstead was the first building to be completed as part of the St Fagans National History Museum redevelopment project and is now open to the public.
Gweithdy, a sustainable building for craft and making and Llys Llywelyn, a reconstruction of a Medieval Princes’ Court are currently under construction.