A chance to experience the magic of a full day in the Museum's lambing shed at Llwyn-yr-eos Farm.
Under the expert guidance of our farming team, you’ll learn how to care for pregnant sheep, recognise labour and deal with common problems. If births happen during the day, there’ll be a chance to get really hands-on (if you want to!). There’ll also be time in the nursery with our new mums and babies – you’ll learn to assess welfare needs and help the lambs through those vital first few days of life. The schedule of the day will be flexible around what’s happening in the lambing shed at the time.
This course is suitable for complete beginners – no previous stock handling experience required. There will be three places available to book on each day. Please read the guidance notes below before making a booking. All bookings must be made via www.ticketline.com or phone 029 2023 0130
- Anyone who is pregnant, trying to get pregnant, or has a partner who is expecting, should read the following health guidelines from the NHS
- This course unsuitable for those with mobility issues due to the nature of conditions in the lambing shed. Please contact us before booking to discuss any concerns via email to email@example.com
- We have scheduled these dates to give you the best chance of witnessing a birth, but lambing is an unpredictable business and we cannot guarantee it.
- You will need to be happy to wear old clothes and get dirty – we recommend overtrousers. (Kneeling in sheep poo is virtually guaranteed!)
- Price includes parking – please report to security gatelodge on arrival to meet your tutor who will supply you with a car park pass.
- Light refreshments will be provided. You are welcome to bring a packed lunch or visit our on-site catering facilities.
- If you want to get hands on we ask that you have short fingernails and remove all nail varnish and rings. We reserve the right to protect the sheep’s welfare in this regard.
- Activity in the lambing shed will be live streamed via webcam to the Museum’s website as part of our #lambcam project. Participants on this course will inevitably feature to some degree (but the sheep are the stars). A booking for this course will be taken as informed consent in advance - you must be happy to sign our film and photography release form on the day.