Village in Clohars
MORET, Henry (1856 - 1913)
Media: oil on canvas
Size: 54.5 x 65.5 cm
Acquired: 1963; Bequest; Margaret Davies
Accession Number: NMW A 2490
Collection: The Davies Sisters Collection
After an academic training at Paris, in 1888 Moret became friendly with Gauguin and his circle, working at Pont Aven on the south coast of Brittany. This view of a street of rustic thatched cottages probably dates from Moret's visit of June 1898 to Clohars-Carnoët, one of his favourite locations near Pont Aven. The bright colours and broken technique reveal his debts to Gauguin and Monet. This work was purchased by Margaret Davies in 1959.