NICHOLSON, Francis (1753 - 1844)
Media: oil on canvas
Size: 55.6 x 76.0 cm
Acquired: 1919; Purchase
Accession Number: NMW A 505
The Reverend J. Evans, visiting this bridge linking Caernarvonshire with Merioneth in the 1790s wrote - 'The scenery is the most magnificent that can be imagined; the eye becomes fixed, and the mind wrapped in emotions of silent wonder...the perpendicular dark cliffs rise...in the greatest irregularity a thousand feet...everything contributes in a high degree to render this scene of sublimity, arising from the combination of gloom and grandeur. Nicholson, a Yorkshire painter, is better known as a watercolourist. This work was engraved in 1809.