Media: brown salt-glazed stoneware, pewter
Size: h(cm) overall : 15.9 x h(cm) : 11.2 (to lip) x dia
Acquired: 1996; Allocated in lieu of tax
Accession Number: NMW A 32750
The tankard on the right of this image is a good example of the moulded and enamelled brown salt-glazed stoneware made at Creussen in Bavaria. The decoration reflects the tankard’s origins in Catholic southern Germany. Flanking a Crucifixion scene are a Pope on his throne and the Virgin and Child, all popular Counter-Reformation subjects. The tankard is dated 1639 beneath the handle. The tankard was formerly in the great collection of Renaissance works of art formed in Prague by Adalbert von Lanna (1836-1909) and later acquired by the diamond magnate Sir Julius Wernher (1850-1912).