Bronze Age Gold from Wales

S.S. ST. JULIEN, glass negative

Hansen, Leslie W. (Photographer)

Starboard broadside view of S.S. ST. JULIEN, 1948.

ss. ST. JULIEN (1885gt) : Passenger ferry built 1925 by John Brown & Co., Glasgow for the Great Western Railway’s services from Weymouth. She was built with two funnels, the aft (dummy) one being removed in 1928. 1939 – Requisitioned for use as a troop carrier but soon converted to a Hospital Ship (No.29). She survived being struck by a mine on 7th June 1944 while taking part in the D-Day landings. 1945 – Returned to Great Western Railway and reverted to her original name. 1948 – Ownership transferred to the British Transport Commission / British Railways. 1961 – Sold to a Belgian shipbreakers. She was still in use as an “accommodation ship” at Walcheren in 1963.

Collection Area

Industry

Item Number

79.76I/2290

Creation/Production

Role: Photographer
Period: 1948

Acquisition

purchase, 20/9/1979

Measurements

Length (mm): 82
Width (mm): 107

Techniques

Gelatin dry plate glass negative
Glass negative
Negative

Material

Glass
Comments are currently unavailable. We apologise for the inconvenience.