Dowlais-Cardiff (East Moors) steelworks, Cardiff, 1890s

Dowlais-Cardiff Steel Works was built by the Dowlais Iron Company of Merthyr Tydfil and opened in stages between 1891 and 1895. Built on undeveloped pastureland known as Cardiff East Moors, it was close to Cardiff Docks through which iron ore was imported. It superseded the original Dowlais Works which closed in 1930. After the second world war it was renamed East Moors Works, the name it bore until closure in 1978.

The images record progress in the construction of the Works and appear to be survivors of a once larger collection. It includes many dramatic views of impressively tall blast furnaces.