Hendre’r-ywydd Uchaf Farmhouse


A late-medieval cruck-framed hall-house built in 1508 and typical of the better class of Welsh farmhouse in the late Middle Ages. The building is divided into five bays, the lower two used for housing for cattle and horses, the centre bay serving as a work-room and the upper two comprising the open hall and a bedroom. The outside walls are timber-framed, the panels being in-filled with wattle and daubed with clay.

Both the daubed panels and the timberwork are limewashed, as was common in the Middle Ages. The open hearth is placed in the centre of the hall, smoke from the fire escaping through the roof and the unglazed windows.

Building facts:

  • Original Location: Llangynhafal, Clwyd (Denbighshire)
  • Date originally built: 1508
  • Moved to St Fagans: 1956
  • Opened to public: 1962
  • Listing status: Grade 2
  • Visiting information