Vulcan Hotel

26

The Vulcan as it was on Adam Street prior to removal to St Fagans National Museum of History

Background

The Vulcan Hotel is one of the museum’s on-going building projects. The Vulcan was built on Adam Street in Cardiff in 1853 to serve the mainly Irish community of what was then called New Town. During its long history it saw major changes as Cardiff grew to become an industrial powerhouse and then the nation’s capital, finally closing its doors for the last time in 2012. We will display the Vulcan as it was in 1915, an important year for the pub. It had just undergone a major refurbishment that saw its distinctive green tiles added to the frontage, as well as a redesign of its interior.

The Vulcan was one of several along Adam Street – a few doors down was the Wheat Sheaf and a few doors up was the Forester’s Arms. It was a colourful place to live but one with a great sense of community.

Staff from St Fagans historic buildings team dismantled the famous Cardiff landmark in 2012.

Donate

The Vulcan is being carefully rebuilt using the original stones, bricks and woodwork, all placed exactly in their original positions.

Amgueddfa Cymru is a registered charity, we are seeking further financial support to ensure the completion of the project. Support the Vulcan Hotel project.
Please Donate

Pulling pints behind the bar in the early 80's.

Share your stories

Our curators have already been out and about conducting oral histories with former customers and landlords of the former Adamsdown pub, recording and filming their experiences and memories. But we'd love to find out more, so if you has any stories or photographs or objects related to the Vulcan, get in touch.

 
Summer House Map Plot

Building facts:

  • Original Location: 10 Adam Street, Adamsdown, Cardiff
  • Date originally built: 1853
  • Furnished: 1915
  • Dismantled and moved to St Fagans: dismantled 2012, rebuilding work is ongoing
  • Visiting information